[Nut-upsdev] Asking hard questions about the NUT architecture

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 30 09:41:03 UTC 2007

Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor at gmail.com>:
> > Size of the potential userbases.  For every large-system sysadmin who
> > actually needs a setup like that, I would be astonished if there were
> > fewer than a hundred single-UPS/single-system setups out there.  Just
> > looking at the piles of consumer-grade USB-UPS boxes at Computer
> > Center told me that --  the store expects to sell those in *volume*.
>
> And how many of those are Windows only?  The target audience of those
> UPS boxes is most likely the home user, who is unlikely to be running
> anything else.

You know, I would have agreed with you -- until I noticed that the
Belkins I bought came with (closed source) Linux-hosted monitoring
software and installation instructions.

Belkin apparently thinks Linux users are a significant piece of the
potential market.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have incurred the NRE
to support Linux.

In any case, even if most of those are going to be Windows-only...
don't we want to try to take seats from Windows?