No subject

Sun May 13 13:41:23 UTC 2007

'belkin-hid.c' and 'tripplite-hid.c' subdrivers, the only thing that
happens when the shutdown functions are run is sending DelayBeforeShutdow=
(if that's available, which it probably always is). According to the HID
Power Devices specification, it will do just that and is effectively the
same as 'shutdown.stayoff'. If there is mains power at that time, the
output will remain off.

There are generally two ways to shut down a HID UPS, compatible with NUT:

1) DelayBeforeReboot (shutdown.reboot)
2) DelayBeforeStartup (shutdown.return) and DelayBeforeShutdown
(shutdown.stayoff, to make sure the output is off before the startup time=
expires)

#1 has the advantage that it is just a single command (but it will act
immediately), while #2 allows to shutdown with a delay (making sure that
DelayBeforeStartup > DelayBeforeShutdown). We can probably deal with *all=
*
HID UPS'es with just these two methods, so I removed them from the
subdrivers and put it in usbhid-ups.c instead. New drivers can opt for
implementing any (or both) of these options by creating the appropriate
HID-to-NUT translation. Which one is available/used (if at all) will be
determined automatically during initialization.

Best regards, Arjen

PS  I will correct the 'shutdown.restart' to 'shutdown.return' later toda=
in the trunk. Even seasoned developers sometimes still get confused by th=
meanings of the shutdown.* commands. ;-)