[Nut-upsdev] hald-addon-usbhid-ups

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Aug 20 15:34:18 UTC 2008

> You are correct, I have let myself be totally misled by the Fedora
> packaging, which I followed. It not only packages the hal-addons in
> one package with all the other drivers.

That is bad... :-(

> In addition, if an appropriate
> UPS is present, the proper hal-addon will automatically be configured
> and started with any restart of the haldaemon.

This is why you can't have both 'nut-classic' and 'nut-hal' installed at
the same time. One of the key benefits of the HAL enabled drivers is, that
they require no configuration from the user at all. So if you don't want
this (you want to run the classic NUT driver), your only option is not
installing them. Once they are installed, they will be used.

> Using the same UPS in
> the conventional way requires disabling this behavior in addition to
> setting up the old style configuration files.

Indeed.

> And there is was looking forward to playing with Arnaud's new stuff
> while relying on the old standby at the same time!

That won't work, sorry...