[Nut-upsdev] Battery Volts shown as 20+ on Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD [ DATA ]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 4 05:43:01 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> The only calculation that is involved is done in the UPS. Per the HID
> PDC specification, NUT reports the HID path
> 'UPS.BatterySystem.Battery.Voltage' as is. As such, the firmware in your
> UPS is broken, as it doesn't meet the HID PDC specifications. Complain
> to TrippLite if you wish.
>
> Most likely, this will indeed require a correction to get to the actual
> battery voltage. We already knew that and most likely this will require
> two parameters in first order equation to get to
>
>     battery.voltage = A x reported value + B
>
> where A and B are to be determined. Which brings us to the problem that
> we will need at least two sets of reported versus actual battery.voltage
> to get to these. It could be that A is 1 and B is -8 (your guess now),
> but we would need some measurements with a sufficiently accurate
> measuring device to find these.
>
> The person that reported this issue before was either unwilling or
> unable to provide these, so unless you are, this is likely going to stay
> that way. If you're willing to work with us to solve this, please do.
> There already is a battery scaling for some other TrippLite units, so we
> could easily add this.
>
> In any case we'll need the output of 'lsusb' and the output of the
> 'usbhid-ups' driver running with debug level 2 (not higher).
>
> Best regards, Arjen

Arjen,

	All data has been collected. Here is the data to help straighted out the
indicated battery.voltage problem with the Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD output:

Full Charge battery.voltage:

	20.3 Volts - (indicated upsc output)
	13.72 Volts  (actual measured with multimeter across battery terminals)

Discharged battery.voltage:

	17.4 Volts - (indicated on shutdown, discharging battery.charge 77%)
	16.9 Volts - (indicated on shutdown, discharging battery.charge 51%%)
	16.6 Volts - (indicated on shutdown, discharging battery.charge 33%)

     -- Shutdown Occurred at < 3% -- Battery Removed and Tested --

	12.06 Volts  (actual where charge was <= 3%, multimeter measurement)

     -- Battery Reinstalled -- UPS Charging --

	18.4 Volts - (indicated on restart, charging battery.charge: 6%)
	18.5 Volts - (indicated on restart, charging battery.charge: 10%)
	18.8 Volts - (indicated on restart, charging battery.charge: 33%)
	18.9 Volts - (indicated on restart, charging battery.charge: 40%)

Additional data:

	upsc output on discharge with battery.charge 62% -> 33% at 10 second intervals:

	http://www.3111skyline.com/download/ups/CyberPower/sdlog

	upsc output on charge with batter.charge 9% -> at 60 second intervals:

	http://www.3111skyline.com/download/ups/CyberPower/charging_log

	The charging_log is still being compiled. The output for both logs is a simple
dump of the upsc data obtained with the command line:

while :; do upsc ecstasy_ups at ecstasy.3111skyline.com >> charging_log; done

	If you would like me to do additional testing or testing of a patch when it is
available, I'm happy to do it. Just let me know. It will be great to be able to
read voltages in the 12-13 volt range instead of the 20 volt range. It will
make the graphs look a lot better too;-) Thank you for your help!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1