[Nut-upsdev] ambiguous USB IDs (was: [nut-commits] svn commit r1589 - in trunk: . drivers)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Thu Dec 4 21:17:30 UTC 2008

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:

> I meant to add that I, too, am against supporting bogus VID:PID
> combinations in the HAL drivers.

Not only that, but we also shouldn't support (though HAL addons)
legitimate VID:PID combinations if these do not uniquely identify a
supported UPS. For instance, 0665:5161 could be a supported UPS
(megatec_usb). But since this really is the ID of a generic USB to
serial controller, it could just as well be a GPS or a coffee machine.
Or even worse, a UPS using a different protocol. The only way to set
these systems up, is through a configuration file, which makes them
unsuitable for automatic setup.

> It's supposed to be a zero-configuration system, and if someone
> doesn't have a legitimate VID:PID, there is the potential for
> requiring a configuration option to disable that combination later.

Indeed.

Please keep list traffic on the list