[Nut-upsdev] APC Backups-Pro 650 - Any way to use apcsmart?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:29:26 UTC 2008

Listmates,

	After wrangling with the voltage value on the CyberPower 1000AVRLCD and now
having 2 of them working, I though it would be a simple matter to move my APC
BP650 from apcupsd to nut so that all 3 servers would be monitored on the same
web interface. The APC is attached to an older box running openSuSE 11.0 with
nut-2.2.2-66.1. (nut-classic).

	The APC BP650 uses a serial connection through the 940-0095A and with apcupsd
it uses the 'apcsmart' driver quite happily. However, with nut, I can only get
it to work with the genericups upstype=1 driver, but not the apcsmart driver.

	Here is my ups.conf configs that I have tried:

with genericups (working):

[nemesis_ups]
        driver = genericups
        upstype = 1
        port = /dev/ttyS0
        desc = "Nemesis APC BP650 UPS"

with apcsmart (not working):

[nemesis_ups]
        driver = apcsmart
        port = /dev/ttyS0
        cable = 940-0095A
        desc = "Nemesis APC BP650 UPS"

** I have tried with and without 'upstype = 1'

	I have also tried troubleshooting with upsdrvctl, here are some of the brief
results:

[11:26 nemesis/etc/ups] # /usr/lib/ups/driver/upsdrvctl -t -u upsd -DDDD start
nemesis_ups
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
*** Testing mode: not calling exec/kill
Starting UPS: nemesis_ups
exec: /usr/lib/ups/driver/apcsmart -a nemesis_ups -u upsd

	results: the driver fails to start, no pid created, nothing

	Even with debugging turned on with the -DDDD, very few messages are created in
the logs. This is basically what I see:

Dec 12 11:02:03 nemesis upsmon[15402]: Poll UPS [nemesis_ups at localhost] failed
- Driver not connected
Dec 12 11:02:25 nemesis syslog-ng[1590]: last message repeated 4 times

	I have also tested directly using the driver itself:

[12:16 nemesis/etc/ups] # /usr/lib/ups/driver/apcsmart -a nemesis_ups -DDDD -u
upsd -x cable=940-0095A
Network UPS Tools (version 2.2.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
        Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
debug level is '4'
Unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
Check the cabling, port name or model name and try again

	Huh?? Nothing in syslog with this attempt.

	Has anyone actually managed to get this ups running with apcsmart? The
genericups driver offers just the bare minimum of information.

	I reloaded the apcupsd so I could show you the output available:

[12:27 nemesis/etc/apcupsd] # apcaccess
APC      : 001,049,1178
DATE     : Fri Dec 12 12:28:11 CST 2008
HOSTNAME : nemesis
RELEASE  : 3.14.4
VERSION  : 3.14.4 (18 May 2008) suse
UPSNAME  : NEM_0650
CABLE    : APC Cable 940-0095A
MODEL    : BACK-UPS PRO 650
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Fri Dec 12 12:27:56 CST 2008
STATUS   : ONLINE LOWBATT
LINEV    : 120.9 Volts
LOADPCT  :  26.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :   3.0 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
MAXLINEV : 121.6 Volts
MINLINEV : 120.9 Volts
OUTPUTV  : 120.9 Volts
SENSE    : High
DWAKE    : 060 Seconds
DSHUTD   : 020 Seconds
DLOWBATT : 02 Minutes
LOTRANS  : 106.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 127.0 Volts
RETPCT   : 000.0 Percent
ALARMDEL : 5 seconds
BATTV    : 14.1 Volts
LINEFREQ : 60.0 Hz
LASTXFER : Line voltage notch or spike
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STESTI   : 336
STATFLAG : 0x07000048 Status Flag
REG1     : 0x00 Register 1
REG2     : 0x00 Register 2
REG3     : 0x00 Register 3
MANDATE  : 05/23/99
SERIALNO : NB9921121779
BATTDATE : 10/14/08
NOMOUTV  : 115 Volts
NOMBATTV :  12.0 Volts
FIRMWARE : 12.3.D
APCMODEL : CWD
END APC  : Fri Dec 12 12:28:14 CST 2008

	Any way to get this output with nut?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1