[Nut-upsdev] RPM .spec files in NUT source tree

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 18:36:22 UTC 2008

All,

Arnaud and I were discussing the *.spec files we have in the NUT
source tree, and with the 2.4.0 release of NUT just around the corner,
I would like to make sure we are pointing people in the right
direction for NUT RPMs.

Currently, we have *.spec files for "generic-rpm" (has a few macros
for RedHat 6.x and 7.x), Mandriva (circa NUT 2.0.2), openSUSE, and
RedHat (apparently from RawHide).

Since we do not have many developers who use the *.spec files
(although Arjen keeps the openSUSE directory up-to-date), I am not
sure if we are doing the packagers a disservice by shipping old
package descriptions. We try to keep the version numbers updated via
autoconf macros, but without testing, the list of drivers and man
pages can get stale.

Also, by having several different spec files in the release tarball,
we are probably breaking "rpmbuild -tb" (if memory serves, this is the
option that finds the .spec file inside a release tarball).

My question to the packagers: Would you prefer that we include a
README file with a link to your website where you keep information
about your NUT packages? Or is it worthwhile for us to pull in your
changes every so often, so that people who want to test new drivers
can do so before you release a new version of NUT?

Also, if there is a reference for macros that we can use to unify the
*.spec files (using conditionals based on macros defined on your
platform), let me know, and we'll try to incorporate that into a truly
generic nut.spec.

(Arnaud: I did try using rpmbuild on Ubuntu 8.04 to test the syntax of
the spec files, and it tells me that I should be using "alien", which
does not seem to support building RPMs except by converting from
.debs. Looks like I would need to set up a
chroot/dual-boot/Xen/${virtualization_system_du_jour} system to test.)

thanks,

--
- Charles Lepple