[Nut-upsdev] New Mustek UPS model working

Fr3ddie fr3ddie at fr3ddie.it
Sat Dec 27 16:46:21 UTC 2008

Hello,
first of all I'd like to thank all the NUT developers for their gorgeous
work and for their efforts to make NUT the best and most complete UPS
management software I've ever seen (seriously).

Secondarily I'd like to help the NUT project as far as my help is
needed, I'm not a programmer (by now...) but I would like to help
somehow anyway.

I have 3 UPS from the same manufacturer by now, the Mustek

PowerMust 1000VA Plus,
PowerMust 800VA Pro and
PowerMust 600VA USB

and the first two of these are listed in the NUT's compatibility page as
"full compatible" using the "megatec" driver: in fact they perfectly work.
I would like to report that also the third one is compatible using the
megatec driver, both via RS232 and via USB port. So I hope it could be
inserted in the compatibility page.
The only thing that's "strange" is that the driver report a 97.5%
battery charge status also if the UPS is at full charge (it's attached
to power network by several days without interruption), as you can see here:

battery.charge: 97.5
battery.voltage: 13.60
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
driver.name: megatec
driver.parameter.mfr: Mustek
driver.parameter.model: PowerMust_600VA_USB
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.parameter.serial: 001
driver.version: 2.2.1-
driver.version.internal: 1.5.13
input.frequency: 50.1
input.voltage: 225.0
input.voltage.fault: 225.0
input.voltage.maximum: 231.3
input.voltage.minimum: 217.1
output.voltage: 225.0
output.voltage.nominal: 220.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 0
ups.delay.start: 2
ups.load: 35.0
ups.mfr: Mustek
ups.model: PowerMust_600VA_USB
ups.serial: 001
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 25.0

And more, my syslog daemon sometimes (rarely, luckily) report a "lost
connection with UPS" followed by a "reconnected" status, here's a few
log lines:

Dec 22 15:09:00 <ServerName> upsd[5608]: Data for UPS [PowerMust600USB]
is stale - check driver
Dec 22 15:09:00 <ServerName> upsd[5608]: UPS [PowerMust600USB] data is
no longer stale

the problem above happens, more or less, one time every 4 or 5 days of
NUT monitoring and it happens 5 or 6 times consecutively in half an
hour. Then, I can't see those log lines any more for another 4/5 days.
I don't know if it's a "normal" behaviour or not, so I wrote here,
mainly to report that NUT works with this new UPS, but also to signal
this strange behaviour :)

The UPS is connected via serial RS232 cable (included in packaging, I
think it is a standard RS232 cable) to an Ubuntu v8.04.2-server machine,
kernel 2.6.24-22, and NUT is at version 2.2.1 (the one present in the
official Canonical repositories).
I hope these informations are useful and I am completely disposable to
report any other information (such as my configuration files) and to
make debug of the driver with the appropriate guidelines by the NUT
developers.

Thank you again, hope you have had a nice and happy Christmas with your
families :)

--
Fr3ddie
fr3ddie at fr3ddie.it
Home Page: http://www.fr3ddie.it
OpenPGP Public Key available on my website