[Nut-upsdev] New Mustek UPS model working

Fr3ddie fr3ddie at fr3ddie.it
Tue Dec 30 02:22:28 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:
>> Sorry for that, I have seen that option right after I sent the mail.
>> So the question now is: can I set only the upper limit for the battery
>> voltage, something as "battvolts=:13.60"?
>
> No. See also the comments about BATTERY CHARGE in 'man 8 blazer' (the
> successor of the megatec and megatec_usb drivers) that is in the trunk.

Yes, I tried the "=:13.60" with no luck ;)
So there's only *one* driver in the subversion trunk for the RS232 and
USB interfaces? No more distinction between the interfaces. Nice!

>> And, if not, how can I determine the low limit? Pluggin' away the power
>> cord and see which is the current voltage when the UPS starts beeping
>> "fast" (OB+LB state)?
>
> Don't bother, use 85% of the nominal battery voltage and you'll probably
> be fine. So for a 12V (nominal) battery system, this would be 10.2V. The
> charge calculation is only there, because people expect the driver to
> report it. You shouldn't make decisions based on this (unreliable)
> value. See above.

Ok, thanks very much, that system was on 12V, exactly. My 1000VA one is
at 24V (nominal) but it works well alone with no modification.

> You might try the 'blazer_ser' and 'blazer_usb' drivers from the trunk.

Ok, this answers my first question ;)

> These are based on a common protocol core and separate communication
> modules for RS-232 and USB respectively. This is much cleaner than
> wrapping a USB layer around an existing RS-232 driver. Make sure you
> read the man page before upgrading, since there are some incompatible
> changes. For instance, it will by default *not* report battery.charge,
> unless you tell it the levels for battery.voltage.low and
> battery.voltage.high. This in order to avoid the confusion with
> battery.charge never reaching 100% if the levels are set automatically
> (which was a bad idea from the start).

Understood, I'll try downloading/compiling tomorrow, I'm very curious to
see the new driver ;)

More, as an information, I have the 600VA UPS running 24h/7d with a
little server and a PC-firewall attached, so I can test the new drivers
in production 24/7 *after* I've tried them a little bit at the other 2
UPSes where I have no critical systems (and so not on 24/7 test).
My plan is to understand how buildbot and subversion work tomorrow, then
try to compile/install the last trunk in the evening (UTC+1) on my
non-critical systems.
I'll be back :)

--
Fr3ddie
fr3ddie at fr3ddie.it
Home Page: http://www.fr3ddie.it
OpenPGP Public Key available on my website

Two big products come from the University of California:
UNIX and LSD.
And I don't think it's a coincidence...