[Nut-upsdev] Important regression in usbhid-ups (r1113)

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Feb 20 23:30:33 UTC 2008

Arjen,

I think one problem is that the APC does not implement an "ondelay" in
any meaningful way. You can set UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeStartup,
but it will not have any effect unless the UPS is already offline.
And the only time it's going to be offline is if the user turned it
off with the power button, because setting
PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown will always turn it off (after the
specified delay) and then turn it back on after a fixed short delay or
after AC power returns (whichever is later).

The BelkinUNV is even worse: if you set the startup delay, then the
UPS will *definitely* come back on after the specified delay,
regardless of whether the power has actually returned or not. This is
almost never what one wants, and definitely not what the
upsdrv_shutdown() should do.

Other UPSs behave yet differently. This was the reason to have
device-specific shutdown routines.

Also, in my opinion, a default offdelay of 20 seconds is useless.
The default offdelay should be 0 seconds, because normally one shuts
down the UPS as the last step in the computer's shutdown sequence.
If someone wants to send the UPS into a shutdown countdown while they
are still continuing to boot down, then this is pretty risky, and in
any case, 20 seconds will almost certainly be too short.

-- Peter