[Nut-upsdev] passing nut_debug_level from upsdrvctl to drivers

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Jan 27 16:07:13 UTC 2008

>> I also think we should not encourage people to post debug output before
>> consultation with a developer. Most of the time, providing useful debug
>> output requires more than just running the driver with an arbitrary
>> number of -D flags anyway.
> Well, the Tripp Lite units have had such buggy firmware in general
> that I am tempted to just print out some debugging instructions in the
> driver output, if we run across certain models.

That might be a good idea. :-)

The reason for not doing this in 'upsdrvctl' (I have been thinking about
something similar before) is that there currently is no standard about how
much debug information is printed at the different debug levels. The
verbosity of some drivers prevents extracting useful information above
debug level three, while others need to be run with a debug level of at
least five before they start indicating something useful. This probably
need standardization of some sort, but the amount of work involved
prevented me from starting this.