[Nut-upsdev] oneac driver patch

Jacob Schmier j.schmier at live.com
Sat Mar 1 01:10:19 UTC 2008

On Friday, February 29, 2008 4:29 PM, W. Keith Miller
<keith.miller at stonebranch.com> wrote:

> I use Linux mostly (got some Openbsd too).however we have
> MopUPS for windows with a serial cable (now where did that
> cable get off too!?).

Chloride Power (Oneac parent company) has a Linux versions of MopUPS
available as well.  These are what I was using along w/ 30 day trial
licenses.  The packages are RPMs, but I used alien to convert them into
formats that suite me.

I used a serial (RS232) to USB converter cable (Oneac part number CK-7USBU)
to communicate with the UPS because I didn't have any free serial ports.  It
has a Prolific PS-2303 chip inside it and works wonderfully under Linux.

> Mopups has a terminal session you can actually communicate to
> the UPS.
> Since I have a V96 at home I can pretty much keep Windows
> MopUPS and Linux connected to the unit anytime as necessary.
> I do remember just running through the ascii character set
> and seeing what responses I got back with regard to the
> MopUPS display.

Interesting.  I guess I never got that far with MopUPS.  Are the responses
also raw ascii?  I didn't have time to figure out how all the raw ascii
protocol was still supported/accurate.

> I'd be happy to lend my UPS and time to get this driver in
> good shape.
> We have ON900, ON900 Extended Run-time, ON1300, ON2000 V96,
> ON2000 V92.
>   I have more access (put perhaps not share time) to a ON1100
> Rackmount with extended battery.

Do your ON900 report themselves as 'ON' family?  If so, you can test out the
new driver with them as well to make sure I didn't break anything.

> I'll have to see if I can get a checkout and compile the new
> driver to see how it responds.

Let me know how it works out for you.

> As a heavy Oneac customer do you think if I asked for the
> protocols that might help?

I really don't think Oneac will give you their protocols.  I met with a few
of the higher ups in their R&D organization to discuss it a little over a
year ago.  They didn't seem to interested unless the company I work for were
to partner with them exclusively and sign a NDA.  They were even less
interested when I mentioned using the information in relation to the NUT
project.