[Nut-upsdev] NUT Enhancements

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Mar 21 20:33:32 UTC 2008

Eric Wilde wrote:

> I am enclosing several modules from NUT 2.2.1 that I have enhanced to
> provide additional features.  In a nutshell, here's what's included:

Thanks for your efforts!

>   Error notification for UPS overtemp.  Several of my UPS monitor
>   temperature and I have found that serious overtemp readings are often
>   a precursor to battery failure (sometimes spectacular).

I like the idea behind this patch, but in its present state I think it
is too limited. We've also seen requests for something similar when for
instance the battery charge reaches a certain level and don't like it if
we need to modify 'upsmon' for every variable that might be added. What
would be really neat, is if one can specify something like the following
in 'upsmon.conf':

	NOTIFYVAR  OVERTEMP	battery.temperature > 50
	NOTIFYVAR  BATTLE25	battery.charge <= 25

Such an interface would be adaptable (some drivers/devices only report
ups.temperature for instance) by users to their specific needs. You get
the idea.

[...]

> I've included, in the attached zip file, the original source that I
> compared against, a diff file of the changes, and the updated source.
> All of my changes are marked with "//EW".  In addition, the upsplot.pl
> module is a new module to graph UPS statistics, using the GD package
> and the notify script sends/logs event notifications.

That shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know we already have a
dependency on the GD package for the upsimage. One thing that I'm
slightly worried about is that you would need you access to the system
log from the user that is running this script. I'm not sure if that is
desirable.