[Nut-upsdev] REGRESSION: New "megatec" driver does't work for UPS that was managed by old fentonups driver

Michel Bouissou michel-nut at bouissou.net
Sun May 18 16:34:57 UTC 2008

Hi there,

A couple years ago, I had patched the "fentonups" nut driver to allow it to
work with my Unitek Alpha 500 UPS.

My patch had been accepted and incorporated in the standard fentonups driver.

I have had no time to stay involved in the "nut" project since (and besides
this I'm not a developper...).

2 days ago I upgraded from Ubuntu Gutsy to Ubuntu Hardy and got a new "nut"
package with the distro upgrade (Version: 2.2.1-2.1ubuntu7) and discovered
that the fentonups driver had disappeared.

I trie to use the new "megatec" driver to no avail :

# /sbin/upsdrvctl -DDD start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.1-
Starting UPS: Alpha
exec: /lib/nut/megatec -a Alpha
Network UPS Tools 2.2.1- - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.13 [megatec]
Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2007

Megatec protocol UPS not detected.
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

If I manually copy "my" old fentonups driver and use my old ups.conf, I can
get :

# /sbin/upsdrvctl -DDD start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.1-
Starting UPS: Alpha
exec: /lib/nut/fentonups -a Alpha
Network UPS Tools - Fenton UPS driver 1.22 (2.0.5)
This driver is obsolete and has been replaced by the "megatec" driver. It will
be removed somewhere in the near future.
Detected Alpha 500 iC on /dev/ttyS0

...So it can more or less still work.

But if I try to use it with upsd, I get an error message :
totor fentonups[11666]: Startup successful
totor upsd[11667]: listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
totor upsd[11667]: Can't connect to UPS [Alpha] (fentonups-Alpha): No such
file or directory
totor upsd[11668]: Startup successful

...Don't know if this "No such file..." has something to do with the old
driver being incompatible with the new structure, or /me missing something in
doing the upgrade, but I'd love to get my UPS back :-\ (and I'd love it to
stay supported by the current and future nut versions)

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel at bouissou.net> OpenPGP ID 0xEB04D09C
--

Ce que j'avais sous les yeux, c'était une représentation théâtrale
du chaos total, une définition fonctionnelle du concept de confusion,