[Nut-upsdev] Maruson power net 1500 support?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue May 20 19:34:13 UTC 2008

>> As suggested, the megatec_usb driver was attempted.  ups.conf has:
>>
>> 	driver = megatec_usb
>> 	port = auto
>> 	desc = "Top Maruson UPS"
>>

>> Unfortunately, both as ups (the account created when nut was
>> compiled/installed) and as root, this is what happens:
>>

> [snip]
>> Q1 detail: (14 bytes) => 28 31 31 33 2e 39 20 31 30 30 31 30 30 30
> [snip]
>
> Good so far!
>
> If you print these numbers as ASCII text you'll get:
> "(113.9 1001000"
> This looks like some weird megatec protocol variation.

This isn't the megatec protocol, but apparently something that uses the
same Q1 command. That really sucks, since we already have UPSes with
identical VID:PID that do speak megatec. Maruson probably purchased the
same serial-to-USB converter from Phoenixtech. Aaargh!

> Things to try out:
> - get the latest SVN trunk and try 'agiler_old', 'agiler', 'phoenix'
>   subdrivers and report back the results

I sincerely doubt that this will have the desired effect. The device seems
to be quite consistent in what it reports, so I suspect this is all the
information it provides and that this is not due to characters being lost.

> - if the trunk doesn't work any better it could be helpful to sniff
>   USB traffic while using supplied Windows driver

That is always useful for new devices!

Eindhoven - The Netherlands