[Nut-upsdev] UPS gracefull restart

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed May 21 08:43:01 UTC 2008

> I'm trying to force the software to properly shutdown the computer
> when someone (admin) over the internet reboots the UPS (don't ask me
> why, we simply sometimes must to do it) - for example from the UPS's
> web interface or from the telnet's command line. We use many APC UPSs
> like 750XL or Matrix.
>
> It happened somehow accidentally, that the admin reboots the UPS and
> forget to shutdown the server before shutdowning UPS and the computer
>   sometimes doesn't start properly again.
>
> When we are using Nut driver apcsmart (monitoring over serial port),
> the driver works fine = when gracefully rebooting UPS over internet,
> the driver says to the computer it shlould shutdown. When we are using
> snmp-ups driver (monitoring over IP address), the snmp-ups driver does
> not says to the computer it should shutdown when we are gracefully
> rebooting UPS and bad things will happen...
>
> What idea do you have?

To reboot the systems by running 'upsmon -c fsd' on the master that is
monitoring the UPS. But this won't work if your administrators use the
webinterface of the UPS, so this is probably not a good idea.

Note that if you have the choice between monitoring the UPS through SNMP
and serial port, the latter is the better option. The SNMP driver we
currently have is still quite experimental and it currently is lacking
some features that are available in the serial driver. Most importantly,
the shutdown command which we will probably never be able to implement in
a meaningful manner.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands