[Nut-upsdev] Build failure emails from Buildbot?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Nov 9 21:21:12 UTC 2008

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:

> how do you feel about the idea of enabling build failure notification
> emails from Buildbot?

That would be neat.

> There are a couple of options.
>
> We could have it just email the person who committed the change(s)
> that broke the build, and/or we could email nut-commits.

I'd say, both.

> For the first option, it would go to your alioth.debian.org alias for
> simplicity. Not sure if the second option makes as much sense for NUT
> because of the granularity of the timers that trigger builds. By the
> time that someone else notices the broken build, the original
> developer would have most likely fixed things.

That might be the case, but would require that the messages to the
alioth.debian.org alias are forwarded to an e-mail address that is
read often enough to be useful. I'm not sure this is always the case,
so to be on the safe side, it would be good to also include
nut-commits here.

> The master server is running an older version of Buildbot, but we
> might be able to limit the emails to just be "edge-triggered" - i.e.,
> only send an email on the first failure until the build has been
> fixed.
>
> Thoughts?

Please do.

The most recent build failure was probably caused by the fact that I
was using TortoiseSVN on a Windows system to commit this change. I'm
experimenting a little with this setup, since it allows me to work on
other locations in the house as well. I was quite surprised that it
'only' choked on this (although I still haven't figured out what
exactly went wrong).

Please keep list traffic on the list