[Nut-upsdev] How do I approach this problem?

Jeff Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Mon Nov 10 15:23:58 UTC 2008

I'm having a problem that I hope those with greater experience might
have some ideas on.
I live up in the mountains where the power is ill-conditioned.
Transients which would cause a computer to reboot occur on a daily
basis. Power failures are frequent and can last anywhere from five
minutes to five days. I have all my computers on UPSs so the first two
problems are solved. I have a generator for the third problem. The
difficulty I am having is with the power failures that last long enough
to drain the battery on the UPSs.

As this would damage the batteries, I programmed the UPSs to shut down
their respective computers after roughly half the life of each UPS
system's capability. The problem that remains is that I would like to be
able to have these automatically restart once the power comes back on.
For one thing, I have one computer hooked up to sensors taking data that
I would like to be off-line as little as possible, and I have another
which serves this data to the outside world when possible.

This is a low-budget operation, so buying bigger UPSs or auto-generator
systems is not an option. Is there any way to have the UPS restart my
computers once it knows its back on live power?

I am using nutups to communicate with the UPS on the computer hooked to
the sensors. I have a tripplite on the other main computer and am using
their package. Both are Linux computers.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
--Jeff Cunningham