[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1557 - trunk

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Nov 16 14:49:43 UTC 2008

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:

> With GNU software, the INSTALL file is typically boilerplate
> information on how to invoke the ./configure script. Not sure if
> there's a way around that.

In that case, we may want to rename our existing INSTALL file, so that
it doesn't get overwritten accidentally. At present, it contains far
more detailed information, not only how to invoke ./configure (like
the generated INSTALL does), but also how to install NUT on a system.

Since running ./configure in many cases will be done by a packager,
but installing the package on a system by the end-user, I would be in
favor of reflecting this in the documentation as well. So INSTALL
would be the what the GNU tools come up with and we would create a new
file for end users on how to configure NUT on their system. At the
moment we have information in both INSTALL and README, so merging that
might be an option.

> We should distribute the other files you mentioned, but only in a
> tarball, not in SVN. That should be handled automatically in 'make
> dist'. It is annoying that the autoconf/autotools authors do not
> provide a list of generated files, though.

OK, that suits me fine. One question remains, how will the build
slaves know that they need to generate these? Will this happen
automatically? They seem to be choking on this now.

Please keep list traffic on the list