[Nut-upsdev] Opening the 2.4 commit fest (RRD)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 16:31:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The remainder, until the -pre stage, will be:
>>> - the Powerman support (through the powerman driver) for more PDUs
>>> - the possible RRD integration into upslog
>>
>> It would be nice to have native RRD support in upslog, but we may also
>> want to point people to collectd - the NUT support in collectd is very
>> easy to use, and collectd does a good job of monitoring other system
>> statistics at the same time.
>
> I'm not very knowledgeable there!
> is rrd's end collectd? if so, we can discard this patch and point collectd!
> otherwise, I have a few things underhand for RRD (m4, pkginfo contributed, ...)

collectd is a standalone daemon to collect statistics, and its NUT
plugin connects to upsd via libupsclient.

The three main outputs of collectd are CSV, RRD and a network feed to
another collectd instance. There is also a feed to Nagios, and some
threshold detection and notification support. I have mainly been
experimenting with the RRD support.

http://collectd.org/images/architecture-schematic.png

image from: http://collectd.org/features.shtml

>> From the NUT perspective , an interesting set of statistics is the
>> correlation between UPS load and CPU utilization.
>
> interesting. I've just been invited to FossCamp / UDS, next december
> at the Googleplex, to talk about that ;-)
> green / cloud computing, power management, ...
>
> this should be a great deal for nut improvement and integration (in
> Ubuntu at least, though I hope there will be some other distro guys!)

Excellent!

--
- Charles Lepple