[Nut-upsdev] Improving messages related to USB permissions

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 16:33:29 UTC 2008

Since the issue of USB permissions keeps coming up on the lists, I am
wondering if there is something we can do to improve the messages
printed at the default debug level when starting a USB driver.

For instance, it shouldn't be too hard to mention which user was
configured for non-privileged operations. A lot of people tend to
assume that unless indicated otherwise, starting a program as root
means that it will run as root, and therefore not run into any
permission problems.

I know a lot of messages get hidden by the startup scripts, but does
anyone have any thoughts as to why we wouldn't want to start looking
at this?

For every person who emails the list with a problem, there will be
several more who will just write the software off if they can't get it
to work without some messages that explain things a little more.

If nothing else, maybe we can have some URLs on networkupstools.org
that will redirect to a wiki page or other relevant documentation.

--
- Charles Lepple