[Nut-upsdev] ACLs, binding to an interface, and libwrap

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:04:26 UTC 2008

All,

There was some discussion recently on Ubuntu Launchpad regarding the
bug in NUT 2.2.1 where it was not possible to connect with an accept-
all ACL:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/235653

The package was patched for the upcoming Ubuntu release (intrepid),
but the discussion drifted to the merits of application-level ACLs
(comment 11 and beyond).

Steve Langasek brings up a good point about "security in depth,"
citing a case where binding to an interface isn't granular enough,
but I still tend to agree with Arjen and Arnaud that ACLs are better
handled by a central firewall.

As a second layer of defense, how do you all feel about the "TCP
wrappers" functionality in libwrap? As I understand it, the
hosts.allow and hosts.deny files offer the same level of granularity
that the NUT ACL functionality provided, but with the advantage of a
more well-known (and hopefully well-scrutinized) codebase.

Many Linux distributions have shipped libwrap for years, and it
should be fairly easy to stub out the glue code if people do not want
to bother with libwrap.

Thoughts?

--
Charles Lepple