[Nut-upsdev] Recommendations for consumer-grafe GPSes?

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:27:55 UTC 2009

Hey Eric,

2009/1/16 Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com>

> Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> > s/GPS/UPS/
> >
> > I guess that you're implication in gpsd is the root cause of this typo
> ;-)
>
> Yes, this is a collision in my hash tables that I have to fight constantly.
> Forgive me in advance. :-)

;-)

> > as for the nut developers, and many other people in the FLOSS Community
> in
> > general (including Linus, Dave Zeuthen, Richard Hughes, Jim Garlick), I
> (and
> > obviously Eaton) would be happy and honored to provide you a unit ^_^
>
> Wow.  I was not expecting anyone to offer to ship me one, but I'll
> cheerfully
> accept that.

yep, that's the hard life of most of our team members ;-p

> > the only bad point here is that we are still in the process of revamping
> and
> > redeveloping the consolidated Eaton offering (check the 2008 Christmas
> mail
> > to get an idea).
>
> That's OK.  As I explained, I'm not in a hurry; as long as it can ship
> before
> the spring/summer storm season I don't expect there will be an issue.
>
> > So ATM, the choice is between the old Ellipse, Nova and Evolution:
> >
> http://www.mgeops.com/index.php/products__1/120v_208v_products/ups#UPS4PC
> >
> > Nova might still be the best choice for your needs, while waiting for new
> > models to be available in the US.
> > though a small evolution might be better (but noisier too) in terms of
> > QOS...
>
> What's the QOS difference?

well both are line-interactive (I thought Nova was an offline!).
imo, Nova is sufficient if you don't have a dedicated server room, since
Evolution as a noisy fan and a bit bigger in terms of footprint. Nova also
doesn't provide manageable outlets, and the design is less cute than
Evolution.

Have a look at the brochures, and tell me back your preference:
http://www.mgeops.com/index.php/products__1/120v_208v_products/ups/nova_avr
http://www.mgeops.com/index.php/products__1/120v_208v_products/ups/evolution

I will also need a delivery address, and a phone number.
If you can do that quickly, that would be nice since I have another
providing underway for the US.

btw, you can also contact me back to start working on the documentation. I'm
mostly done with the big things.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops