[Nut-upsdev] automatically generating the ChangeLog

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 22:27:59 UTC 2009

Hey Charles,

2009/1/6 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> along these lines, it is fairly easy to get this date format into vi -
> >> just create a blank line with 'O', then run '.!TZ=UTC date'.
> >>
> >> Of course, you don't have to leave off your email address like I just
> did.
> >
> > on my side, I'm generally using 'date -R'... apart when doing some
> > copy/paste from within the file.
> > with some obvious cons when we switch year (iirc, the same happens every
> > year!)
>
> I'm wondering if we shouldn't switch to generating the ChangeLog from
> SVN commit messages? I believe someone has created a tool that formats
> the messages into GNU ChangeLog style (including mentioning which
> files and directories have been changed).

iirc, we already talked about that around 2 or 4 years ago (this was linked
to some of my work on LIRC), but can't find any evidences...

this is a good idea, in the mood of QA improvements/automation/focus on the
important things...
but will obviously be postponed to post 2.4.0 release.

3 things come to my mind:
- when do we generate it? (ie is the dist target sufficient?)
- timeline limitation: from 2.2.0 to 2.4.0 current, we have ~ 2900 lines...
the use of "-r" is needed,
- it seems we will also need an XML authors file, which is partly with
AUTHORS.
we might move that last to CREDITS and generate a plain text AUTHORS one.