[Nut-upsdev] Questions on the state of the UPS market

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Jan 16 16:28:45 UTC 2009

Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:

>> Ethernet interfaces are similarly cheap (< $3). Unfortunately, the
>> products weren't initially designed with them in mind, so what you
>> get for your $100-$300 is a computer on a card that has an ethernet
>> port on the back.
> the problem here is that SOHO market generally need 1 UPS to protect 1
> system.
> using a point-to-point technology make it simple ; using multipoint techno
> like ethernet, wifi... make it harder.
> though it's still feasible and even considered, there is more complexity for
> the average user...

Also note that the requirement for an IP stack makes this far more
complex than what you need for a USB interface. So while the hardware
for the interface may be cheap, it places much higher demands on the
microcontroller (and firmware) to actually use it.

And I don't know what system this should be connected to, but by the
time mine sends the UPS the command to shut-off the output (just
before the killpower command), it no longer has networking
capabilities anymore. So using an ethernet interface would require
sending the shut-off command (with delay) well before the system has
finished shutting down. This is a lot riskier than to do it after all
services have been stopped and file systems remounted read only.

Please keep list traffic on the list