[Nut-upsdev] PowerWare USB debug messages

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:17:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Arjen de Korte<nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:
> Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
>
>> Earlier this year, I added a patch to my local NUT tree to
>> additionally print the value of usb_strerror() if usb_clear_halt()
>> failed.
>>
>> (Ignore the commented-out goto.)
>>
>> Since these messages are at the LOG_ERR level, should we add
>> usb_strerror() to all of the calls in nut_usb.c?
>
> In most cases, I'd welcome more debugging output, especially in the case of
> USB drivers. But in that case, I would rather see this logged at loglevel
> LOG_DEBUG, to prevent flooding the syslog with messages. The LOG_ERR level
> is fairly high and on many systems these messages will be logged to the
> syslog.

To me, the log level is orthogonal to the message printed at a given log level.

If you have no objections to the message, I will add usb_strerror().
If you would like me to change the log level at the same time, I can
do that, but I don't have a strong opinion on that (probably because I
haven't had my syslog flooded recently).

> This also reminds me that we probably need to clean up some USB drivers,
> that currently use upslog_with_errno and upsdebug_with_errno if libusb calls
> fail, where we should really use upslogx and upsdebugx and append the output
> of usb_strerror() instead.

No objections here.

--
- Charles Lepple