[Nut-upsdev] Patch for drivers.list

Svein Skogen (listmail account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Wed Jul 29 12:44:10 UTC 2009

Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Svein Skogen (listmail account) wrote:
>
>> On a sidenote, I had a really hard time getting the usbhid-ups driver
>> working in FreeBSD running as a non-privileged user (even with
>> permissions on the /dev/ file set properly). Running it as root works,
>> though, so no biggie (I have the luxury of having the ups connected to a
>> dedicated box that is sufficiently fenced off from the rest of the
>> network).
>
> I don't have my FreeBSD box handy, but I seem to remember having to set
> permissions on both the bus (for libusb to enumerate the devices) and on
> the device's /dev node itself.

That I didn't try. I'll try it later (right now the weather here is too
unstable for me to consider messing with the UPS setup just when I might
need it). Thanks for the tip. (If this works, maybe it should be added
to some documentation?)

>> When it ran as a non-privileged user, the usbhid driver seemed to insist
>> on trying to load the "generic" driver, refusing to load the Cyberpower
>> one. As root, it loaded up the proper driver, and all is good. May just
>> be that my current FreeBSD-fu is low, or something.
>
> Are you referring to the usbhid-ups driver for NUT, or the ugen generic
> USB driver in the kernel?

the NUT driver. But that may, as you pointed to above, be that it
couldn't properly enumerate the bus.

> Also, what version of FreeBSD are you using?

"RELENG_7" (currently in 7.2 stable)

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/