[Nut-upsdev] Patch for drivers.list

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:46:24 UTC 2009

2009/7/29 Svein Skogen (listmail account) <svein-listmail at stillbilde.net>

> Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >
> > 2009/7/29 Svein Skogen (listmail account) <svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
> > <mailto:svein-listmail at stillbilde.net>>

> >     Charles Lepple wrote:
> >     > On Jul 29, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Svein Skogen (listmail account) wrote:
> >     >
> >     >> On a sidenote, I had a really hard time getting the usbhid-ups
> driver
> >     >> working in FreeBSD running as a non-privileged user (even with
> >     >> permissions on the /dev/ file set properly). Running it as root
> >     works,
> >     >> though, so no biggie (I have the luxury of having the ups
> >     connected to a
> >     >> dedicated box that is sufficiently fenced off from the rest of the
> >     >> network).
> >     >
> >     > I don't have my FreeBSD box handy, but I seem to remember having
> >     to set
> >     > permissions on both the bus (for libusb to enumerate the devices)
> >     and on
> >     > the device's /dev node itself.
> >
> >     That I didn't try. I'll try it later (right now the weather here is
> too
> >     unstable for me to consider messing with the UPS setup just when I
> might
> >     need it). Thanks for the tip. (If this works, maybe it should be
> added
> >     to some documentation?)
> >

> > sure, and even more knowing that we're working on the new shiny doc.
> > I'm also keen in automating the process, if possible, as for udev on
> Linux.
> >
> > any hints / feedback is welcome since I'm not a *BSD user (simply due to
> > a lack of time, not of interest!)
>
> If we can get the permissions bit sorted out,

indeed, and that's what I want to automate, as for linux.
the point 4 of Thierry's doc illustrate this
http://people.freebsd.org/~thierry/nut_FreeBSD_HowTo.txt

It seems that devfsd is as dynamic as udev, tied to a specific physical dev
and only for coldplugging (applied at boot time only).

in the vain of the other autogenerated USB helpers, I can make another one
for FreeBSD to is executed at will (at config time, or by the init script

Thierry, do you have more info on the current devfsd situation.
Would you be willing to work with me on simplifying the situation with the
creation of an helper script (a kind of nut-find-usbups)?

all the hints are "cd
> /usr/ports/sysutils/nut && make clean config build install clean" then
> read docs and set up .conf-files in /usr/local/etc/nut. FreeBSD is
> fairly relaxing in that way. ;)

thanks for the above info.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops