[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1837 - trunk/clients

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon May 11 19:58:38 UTC 2009

Citeren Daniel O'Connor <doconnor op gsoft.com.au>:

>> It *should* background if it isn't logging to stdout, so if it isn't,
>> we might have a bug here. I'm not to keen on open/close for each line
>> we log, for exactly the reason you mention here.
> Can you elaborate?

Sure.

> I don't see any disadvantage to doing an open/close for each line. The
> extra syscall load would be trivial.

This is probably true if you're logging to a file on a local hard
disk, but I'm not so sure about *all* possible systems/devices people
may be logging to. So therefor, unless there is a compelling reason to
open/close the logfile for each line, I'd rather keep the behavior as
it is.

I think sending upslog a SIGHUP to make it reopen the logs after
rotating is too much of a burden anyhow and certainly not worth the
risk of breaking existing installations that may rely on upslog
keeping the logfile open.

Please keep list traffic on the list