[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1837 - trunk/clients

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri May 15 09:37:19 UTC 2009

Citeren Daniel O'Connor <doconnor op gsoft.com.au>:

>> Well, one thing is that it *will* cause existing installations to
>> break, where upslog is started as 'root' and the NUT user doesn't
>> have write permissions to the log file. Obviously, send upslog a
>> SIGHUP in such case would effectively kill it (because it can't
>> reopen the log), but I know of at least one distribution (SuSE) that
>> had a default setup exactly like that. We've seen people complain
>> about this behavior before, so in all likelihood, it is being used in
>> the field.
> That seems broken anyway, either it expands forever and you run out of
> space or you try and rotate it and upslog stops.

If you log a few dozen bytes to the logs once every five minutes
(which boils down to about 1 kB/hr), realistically this may never
happen, so it is questionable that this is ever going to cause a
problem.

> IMO the SuSE package maintainer should change it to either run upslog as
> root or make a new directory iun /var/log owned but the NUT user..

The SuSE package maintainer did the only sensible thing here and
removed upslog from the default startup script and leave the
configuration to the user. One shouldn't run upslog without a reason.

Please keep list traffic on the list