[Nut-upsdev] debugging options on upsdrvctl (was Re: [Nut-upsuser] about Smart-Ups RT)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri May 22 04:04:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:

> Don't forget that the debugging options in NUT aren't meant to help Joe
> User, it's to enable us (the developers) to get additional information on
> why something isn't working as it should. Therefor, when asking Joe to
> enable debugging, we should make it abundently clear what we want from him.
> So don't tell him to 'enable debugging', but post the commandline to execute
> on his system.

I still think there is room for improvement.

I concede that debugging output from multiple drivers would be a mess,
but it wouldn't hurt to have debug level 1 or 2 print a message saying
that they should 1) go to the nut-upsdev list for further guidance,
and 2) when they ask for help, include the following full pathname of
the driver.

This wouldn't block the possibility of further debugging of upsdrvctl,
and it eliminates one more round-trip email to verify where their
drivers are located (since many packages don't put them in $PATH).

--
- Charles Lepple