[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Arjen de Korte arjen at de-korte.org
Mon Nov 2 21:00:36 UTC 2009

Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco at absence.it>:

> I managed to get twice connected at the same time from the same
> machine to a single UPS using different hostnames, so it's
> definitely not an IP based check (at least here with 66102 / EC).

Never mind. The alarm messages are not bound to a specific outlet, but
are sent to all NSM clients that are connected. Which means that a
single connected driver can handle the alarm messages for all outlets.
Basically, the NSM subscription allows us to reduce the polling
interval to 1 minute or so, without risking high latency for alarms
(since they will be pushed from the NMC when they occur).

It looks like the connected clients need to determine themselves
(based on the timer values) when to shutdown the host they are running
on. Apparently, the decision when to shutdown is made by the NSM
client, this is not signaled directly by the NMC.

This means that we can probably just connect to the main outlet and
fix the shutdown delay and shutdown timer to the CENTRALIZED
configuration without losing anything. One can still override these
settings per outlet, by changing values via the NMC web configuration
interface. Adding of the NSM alarms can therefor be done without any
additional configuration settings, which is preferred for ease of
setting things up.

Please keep list traffic on the list