[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Sat Nov 7 12:22:36 UTC 2009

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:
> There is no guarantee that the machine where the driver is running on is
> also powered by the UPS. Most systems administrators like NUT because it
> allows you to centralize UPS monitoring from a single machine. Allowing
> the above would mean that each NMC would require a dedicated machine to
> run the driver on. This pretty much defeats the whole purpose of NUT.

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but if that particular machine
don't need to go down just do not let it shutdown, it will simply see
the low battery flag and notice it.

>> I compiled your code yesterday evening, everything looks fine but I
>> noticed that every 180 secs a new subscription is made: is there a
>> reason for this?
>
> The only reason could be that the driver is not getting alarm messages.

Maybe, but having a closer look at the network traffic, alarm messages
arrive correctly and re-subscription seems to occur randomly. There must
be something wrong with the socket or the driver.
BTW, subscription is always succesful.

> The driver should periodically receive empty alarm messages from the
> NMC. If it doesn't, it assumes the connection is somehow lost and
> subscribes again. Do you see the empty alarm messages if you run the
> driver with -DD enabled?

upsdrvctl forks soon after the connection test. How to avoid this?

>> And I see that +20-25% more traffic generated.
>
> This could be the case since we poll both the summary and get_object
> pages for each pollinterval. If this interval is short, you may notice
> an increase compared to the previous code non-subscribed mode. The only
> reason for adding the NSM subscribed mode, is to allow increasing the
> pollinterval. If you keep it at something like 5 seconds, there is no
> point in NSM subscriptions.

I already increased pollinterval from 15 to 60 seconds.

Regards,
Marco