[Nut-upsdev] sign of battery.current

Kiss Gabor (Bitman) kissg at ssg.ki.iif.hu
Fri Oct 2 09:54:58 UTC 2009

> > What is the sign of battery.current value?
> > I wonder if the negative number means charging or discharging.
>
> Most drivers that use battery.current, a positive value means charging. It is
> extremely rare that discharge current is reported, but the few drivers that

I'm confused a bit. You swapped the words, don't you?
The discharge current is always(!) reported.
By definition
* charging (in OL state):    energy stored in the battery is increasing.
* discharging (in OB state): the load consumes stored energy.

> use it (the 'ivtscd' driver for instance) will report a negative value in that
> case.

I just asked because KNutClient displays a meter with scale
-15..+10 Amps however (absolute value of) charging current is
tipically lower than discharging.
http://www.knut.noveradsl.cz/knutclient/images/knutclient1-en.png

I thought it is better to clarify this. :-)

Regards

Gabor