[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Oct 11 09:03:54 UTC 2009

Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco op absence.it>:

> some time ago I bought at discount price a NMC for managing a few
> computers using the programmable outlets features available on my MGE
> Evolution, unuseful otherwise (ATM). However, expecially for my server
> machine, I don't like very much the NSM client provided by MGE/Eaton
> and I'd rather use only NUT from my distribution. So, looking at the
> netxml-ups driver, I started adding some code into the mge-xml
> subdriver, to power off the system whenever the NMC tells it's time
> to go down. Although the code is still a stub and incomplete, it
> seems to work fairly well with my own setup. However I'd like to
> know, first of all, the best way to integrate this functionality in
> NUT, and, after, whether there is some interest in including this
> feature in the upstream package.

Considering the latter, maybe. It all depends how well this fits into
the existing driver-server-client architecture and from what I
understand from the above, it looks like you're basically creating an
integrated driver/client that bypasses the upsd server. I certainly
see the advantages of this in a homogenous setup (where you only have
NMC capable MGE units available), but I fear that this will drift far
from the more or less universal setup we have now and as such I'm not
too thrilled about including this right now.

Also note that a setup where multiple clients connect to the NMC
doesn't scale particularly well. The number of concurrent connections
to the NMC is limited, depending on the model you have. The
installation for which the netxml-ups driver was originally written
has over 2000 clients attached, way beyond what is supported by any
version of the NMC.

Having said that, I'd still be interested in looking at your changes,
to see if there are things that we might use in the netxml-ups driver
we have. Feel free to attach what you made and we can work from there.
I see no reason why we couldn't create a branch in the SVN tree to see
if we can work out something that fits in the existing architecture.

Best regards, Arjen

PS  If you want to control multiple outlets of your UPS and want a NUT
only solution, have a look at the 'clone' UPS driver that is available
now.
--
Please keep list traffic on the list