[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Oct 13 11:04:53 UTC 2009

Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco op absence.it>:

[...]

> It's quite simple, upsd sees and exposes a single UPS as usual, but
> I'd say there's no way to support redundant configurations.
> Have a look at the code.

I very much like the basic concept behind this, this is certainly
worth investigating further. I would prefer to make this a separate
driver (proposal, netnsm-ups) instead though. The reason is that you
could follow the same approach using SNMP (instead of XML) from the
UPS, so a more universal approach would be to connect to a snmp-ups or
netxml-ups driver on top of the driver being an NSM client.

I'm also a little concerned about multiple instances of netxml-ups
connecting to the same NMC. Older NMC's probably will not be stable
enough with multiple clients querying the XML pages. Older 66102 and
66103 NMC's simply don't have the horsepower needed to support
multiple XML clients.

An approach might be to start from the 'clone' driver and add the NSM
specific code to that. This would allow transparent copying of all
information of the underlying base driver (snmp-ups or netxml-ups) and
still be able to add the desired info for the outlets (which is really
neat of your solution).

Last, I'm not sure if having the LOCAL configuration is a good idea
from a support point of view. Only using the CENTRALIZED configuration
would result in fewer options needed in ups.conf, which is easier for
system administrators to setup. After initial setup of ups.conf (to
select the outlet a netnsm-ups client would be connected), all
settings are done via the NMC. Since one would have to setup the
timings for the main outlet via the NMC anyway, it would probably be
more straightforward to setup the other outlets there as well.

Please keep list traffic on the list