[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Oct 25 13:11:48 UTC 2009

Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco op absence.it>:

> Currently I have no spare time for coding (I hope to have some time
> in the next weeks), but in the meantime I'd like to continue
> discussing about the NSM driver for further details.

I have digged into this deeper and have come to the conclusion that
creating a driver that connects to NSM is a dead-end. In installations
where NMC's are used, you'll invariably find that multiple UPS'es
would need to be monitored. The callback socket for the NSM ALARM
interface prevents this if you do this in separate drivers, since only
one can create such a socket.

So you can't run more than one NSM driver on a single host (which
would be needed to fit into the existing NUT infrastructure, where
each controllable outlet should be exposed as a single UPS). You'd
need a special kind of driver instead that would expose all the NMC's
it sees to the upsd server, mimicking a UPS instance for each outlet
it sees. This is not something that can be dealt with easily now.

I won't investigate in this further for now and instead will put my
time in finally getting the setvar/instcmd's up and running in the
netxml-ups driver, which (together with the clone driver) would remove
the need for NSM for now anyway.

Please keep list traffic on the list