[Nut-upsdev] Embedding man pages in driver source code

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:36:05 UTC 2009

With the AsciiDoc conversion underway, I am wondering if we should
keep the AsciiDoc for the driver man pages in a specially-formatted
comment in the driver (taking a cue from the comments specifying USB
information).

I have been doing something similar with the tripplite_usb driver for
a while - it contains Perl-style POD (Plain Old Documentation) in a C
comment, and the man page can be mechanically generated from that.

This way, the documentation is closer to the actual driver source
code, and if someone changes a driver, they only need to send a single
patch.

We probably don't need to do this for the client/server binaries like
upsc and upsmon, but it's a possibility.

Thoughts?

--
- Charles Lepple