[Nut-upsdev] Layout of AsciiDoc-based NUT webpage

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:19:08 UTC 2009

2009/9/9 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Arnaud Quette<aquette.dev at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > the idea is to not modify much the current layout, but only to
> recalculate
> > dynamically the size of the layout-content and to put the slider on this
> > specific area...
> >
> > tell us back if it solves the issue for you.
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't work with JavaScript turned off (there is
> no scrollbar, so you can't view anything after the first screenful).
>
> I don't want to sound unappreciative of Seb's efforts, but this seems
> complicated for a project that doesn't have strict visual layout
> requirements. (I understand that many corporate communications offices
> have rules about how far text must be from company logos, etc., but we
> are looking for something simple and maintainable.)

that's mostly the conclusion I've made to myself: overkilled!

not that I'm against JavaScript, but the website thing starts to get
bloated, and we have no specific dynamic needs.
while the advantage of JS in the HCL is clear (and a fallback for non
enabled JS browser is easy to address here, and plannd), it introduces too
many workaround to address various exceptions (anchors, ie6, general layout,
...).

the main point when choosing that approach vs the table one was to have the
menu always visible.

I'll try to check with Seb to apply the 3rd (attached) layout, with
scrollable layout-banner and layout-content. that way, we should overcome
the "JS everywhere need" (apart from ie6, but that is acceptable) while
keeping the menu always visible.

scheduled next week, so everyone's comment is welcome in the meantime...

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops