[Nut-upsdev] Trouble detecting APC Smart-UPS connected via usb

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Apr 19 18:04:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Jon Sjöstedt wrote:

> I have installed the nut package from the OpenBSD 4.4 packages tree, nut-2.2.1p0
>
> I have a new APC Smart-UPS 750 which I plan to connect via USB. When I
> try to start the usbhid-ups i get
>
> debug level is '2'
> upsdrv_initups...
> No appropriate HID device found
> No matching HID UPS found

On Redhat EL5, the udev system doesn't make the device nodes for the UPS
accessible to nut by default.  Perhaps something similar is happening on
OpenBSD.  In theory, there is some way to tweak the udev rules.  In practice,
I find it simpler to do a chown in rc.local.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>