[Nut-upsdev] NUT release plans (post-2.4.1): ChangeLog format

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:21:50 UTC 2010

2010/2/7 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On Feb 7, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> 2010/2/7 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> What follows is a sample of the output of svn2cl for the trunk. I
>>> added the username-to-email mapping file, enabled revision numbers,
>>> and told it to group commits on a single day by the same author:
>>>
>>> $ svn2cl --group-by-day --include-rev --authors=../../svn2cl.authors
>>>
>>> Arjen: I used your main email address that you typically list in the
>>> ChangeLog entries.
>>>
>>> Arnaud: I wasn't sure which address you wanted to list, the free.fr or
>>> the gmail address.
>>
>> french mafia rules :)
>> so the free.fr one please.

just a comment on the french mafia: I'm obviously talking about the
FLOSS activists... ;-)

> OK. We'll save the mafia questions for another day :-)
>
>>> I also need to search back and see when we actually stopped adding
>>> ChangeLog entries, and merge as appropriate.
>>
>> r1018 "fix some separators"
>> (starting on the 6th July 2007)
>
> Hmm... that's a lot more merging than I thought. Through about October 2009,
> we were pretty consistent with ChangeLog entries.

yup, the other solution being to only dig up from r2117 (ChangeLog
updates stopped at r2116), and concatenate the current ChangeLog with
that.
But this implies to adapt the xsl to output something coherent.

>>> The svn2cl format doesn't include the time or timezone, but I don't
>>> think that's critical.
>>
>> iirc, it includes it, but not if grouped by day.
>
> As Arjen mentioned, if people want that level of detail, they can consult
> the SVN history directly. I personally prefer the grouped-by-day format.

I'm fine with the day grouping. I was only pointing the fact that
grouping by day removes the timestamp, which is not a big deal.

>>> Comments?
>>
>> excellent ;-)
>
> I hardly had to do anything - it was probably the most painless use of XSL I
> have ever experienced.

sure, but you did it ;-)

I'll be lazy, and will wait for a first ChangeLog update before going
on the NEWS / UPGRADING update round...

cheers,