[Nut-upsdev] Supporting APC 5G UPSs

Chris.Collins at apcc.com Chris.Collins at apcc.com
Fri Jun 25 15:30:21 UTC 2010

Hi Guys,

I'd like to submit a patch to enable NUT to communicate with APC 5G UPSs.
The current usbhid-ups driver recognises APC UPSs by the Vendor ID and
Product ID of 0x051D and 0x0002.  This needs to be amended with the new
Product ID of 0x0003.

(See attached file: apc-hid.patch)

Secondly, when Nut polls the UPS via the interrupt channel, these will time
out, resulting in frequent lost comms.  The USB Interrupt channel is being
reserved in 5G UPSs for a proprietary protocol.  In order to enable Nut to
communicate with the UPS, a poll only configuration is required.  The
details of my ups.conf file are as follows:

[apc]
    driver = usbhid-ups
    port = auto
    pollonly = 1

Thanks,
-Chris Collins

Chris Collins |  APC by Schneider Electric  |   Senior Software Engineer
Phone: +353-91-702000 x2661  |   Mobile: +353-87-4189477
Email: chris.collins at apcc.com  |   Address: City East Business Park,
Ballybrit, Galway, IRELAND
*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail