[Nut-upsdev] Supporting APC 5G UPSs

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Jun 25 19:07:08 UTC 2010

Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev op gmail.com>:

>> The 'pollonly' is a flag, so just listing 'pollonly' here would be enough
>> (the '= 1' part is not used). Assuming this is important for this device, we
>> should probably automatically disable the interrupt pipe, so this is what
>> the revised patch will do upon detecting a 5G UPS.
> I came to the same conclusion. now to set "use_interrupt_pipe = FALSE;", the
> content of r1853 should be moved to upsdrv_initups(), before the claim()
> calls.

That would be neat, to remove the nag warning when we shut it down.
Other than that, it will probably be fine as it is now, since the fun
pointer will be called whenever a 5G APC UPS is detected.

> and the new apc-hid->usb_device_id_t entry (from Chris' patch) should have a
> fun pointer to set it.
> though that last one was obvious!

Yes. It does however raise the question whether or not we should
default to using the interrupt pipe (instead of defaulting NOT to use
it). The interrupt pipe is broken for quite a few popular vendors and
models and unless you override the default pollinterval, won't
significantly reduce the latency.

Using the interrupt pipe is probably most useful for devices where we
know it is used by the UPS (and implemented correctly) and we want to
lower the load the usbhid-ups driver presents by increasing
'pollinterval' to something like 30 seconds or so. In that case the
interrupt pipe will then provide you with the near instantaneous
response to critical events.

Any thoughts?

Please keep list traffic on the list