[Nut-upsdev] Autoconf Quadrigraphs

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Mar 1 09:18:53 UTC 2010

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple op gmail.com>:

> To be completely honest, I have not seen those before.

The first use of them was introduced in r571 (by Peter Selinger). I
have to admit that until yesterday, I had not noticed them before
either. The reason why I prefer '@<:@' and '@:>@' over '[[[[' and
']]]]' respectively, is that it is more clear that we want to use some
kind of escaped character, rather than quoting that is needed for
autoconf.

> That machine has autoconf 2.61 and m4 1.4.9.

It might have to do something with the autoconf version. In that case,
it would be interesting to see what the Ubuntu (2.61) and FreeBSD
(2.62) buildbots make out of it. On the openSUSE (2.63), Fedora (2.63)
and MacOSX (2.65) buildbots it seems to be no problem.

> Let me know if there are any other things you would like me to try there.

I'll add the empty quadrigraph '@&t@' in between them. If that fails,
I'll wait for the output of the Ubuntu and FreeBSD buildbots.

I'm just curious why this properly builds on one system and not on
another. Other than that, it is not very important and we could leave
the code as it has been since Peter added it three years ago.

Please keep list traffic on the list