[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Getting 'Data stale' error with bcmxcp_usb for a PowerWare 5115 on OSX

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Sat Mar 6 09:29:59 UTC 2010

Good evening,

On 6/03/10 at 9:34 AM +0100, Arjen de Korte
<nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:

>Citeren Charlie Garrison <garrison at zeta.org.au>:
>
>>I tried inlining the config.log but message was rejected due
>>to size. It's attached as gzip instead.
>
>We prefer not to inline logfiles. Not only because of size, but
>also because in many cases the formatting is lost (which can be
>a pain if you need to run the output through a script). Anyway,
>I don't see anything suspicious here.

OK, and thanks. I wasn't sure which was preferable.

>You could try if in 'drivers/main.c' moving the line
>
>565            become_user(new_uid);
>
>to just before the line
>
>622            while (!exit_flag) {
>
>helps. This delays dropping privileges to after backgrounding
>and just before we enter the main loop. This makes it harder to
>diagnose problems with permissions, but may be needed in your case.

I've done that. I'm not sure whether you expect that to fix the
'data stale' error or whether it's for debugging purposes. I'm
still getting the error after running with the above code change.

>I'm cross-posting this to the development mailinglist. I would
>prefer to continue this thread there, so please do not reply on
>the nut-upsuser list. This is more related to development and
>we probably need someone with more in-depth knowledge on OSX
>than I have (essentially none at all).

Again, thanks for your help. And I've subscribed to the dev
list. Also, I'm quite knowledgeable about userland stuff in OSX,
but with kernel/driver stuff I will need to follow someone
else's lead.

So, what else can I do help identify the cause of the error?

Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>
    〠 PO Box 141, Windsor, NSW 2756, Australia

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt