[Nut-upsdev] Getting 'Data stale' error with bcmxcp_usb for a PowerWare 5115 on OSX

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 04:54:19 UTC 2010

Charlie,

sadly it has taken me all this time just to get my system to a point
where I could connect to a USB UPS.

I have a Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1000 here, and it advertises itself as a USB
HID-class device. It is like pulling teeth trying to get the OS X
kernel to let go of a HID device. From the USB Prober output, I am
almost certain that your PowerWare device does not have the same
problem.

If you have time to add some upslogx() calls to the driver, I would be
interested in comparing the errors you are experiencing when not
running in debug mode. When the tripplite_usb driver is in the
background, it logs the following:

3/8/10 11:26:04 PM tripplite_usb[22267] Error reading S value: Device
detached? (error 0: libusb/darwin.c usb_setup_iterator:
IOServiceGetMatchingServices: unknown error
)

One option might be to just use one -D flag, and start the driver from
launchd. Then you can have it respawn when the device is disconnected
- which I believe the bcmxcp_usb driver does not currently do itself.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail