[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups fails with Belkin F6C120-UNV in nut-2.4.3

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sat Mar 20 21:13:47 UTC 2010

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple op gmail.com>:

> Several years ago on the linux-usb list, it was often pointed out
> that the kernel was supposed to honor the wMaxPacketSize field, and
> fragment the requests accordingly. While this was suggested for
> performance reasons (fewer round trips between user and kernel
> space), it should still hold true for less frequent transfers.

This was my understanding too, but for instance the blazer_usb (and
megatec_usb) also fragment transfers in 8-byte chunks themselves. A
while back we tried to query for larger chunks, but this wasn't
reliable at all.

It looks like we can't trust that the kernel will do this for us, so I
guess it would be better to do this in the libusb.c module. If memory
serves, it would be possible to get wMaxPacketSize somehow from the
device handle.

Please keep list traffic on the list