[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups fails with Belkin F6C120-UNV in nut-2.4.3

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 21 11:34:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 11:49 +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com>:
>
> >> Several years ago on the linux-usb list, it was often pointed out that
> >> the kernel was supposed to honor the wMaxPacketSize field, and
> >> fragment the requests accordingly. While this was suggested for
> >> performance reasons (fewer round trips between user and kernel space),
> >> it should still hold true for less frequent transfers.
> > In this case we are reading the data, I don't know if there is much the
> > kernel can do to fragment this, I don't see any concept of an offset
> > field when reading the report.
>
> There is no need for an offset field. If you read/write the same
> report again and the device will return/accept the next chunk of data.
> The drawback here is that this most likely lead to a timeout after the
> last available data has been read on the next read operation. We need
> to deal with that.

That sounds close to a description of how the low level USB protocol
works, performing multiple IN requests until all the data has been
fetched[1]. I believe the transactions at this level are handled by the
host controller hardware and kernel driver and probably hidden from the
user space APIs. I don't see anything in the HID specification about
data for a single report needing to be split across multiple get_report
requests.

In one of my other emails I included an example of where usbhid-ups
successfully fetches the 801 byte hid descriptor in a single request
from this same device so the kernel and UPS must be able to fulfil some
longer requests successfully.

I would guess that this UPS is not willing or able to provide more than
an 8 byte response to a Get_Report request. Looking at the datasheet for
some of the simple low speed USB microcontrollers shows that they
normally have a 8 byte transmit buffer and the firmware has to fill this
the controller in this device was never coded to handle more than an 8
byte get_report request because all its reports were limited to 1, 2 or
4 byte values.

> Best regards, Arjen

	Jon

1: http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb4.htm#Control