[Nut-upsdev] DNS-SD (was Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r2974 - branches/nut-scanner/tools/nut-scanner)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:14:32 UTC 2011

2011/4/20 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>  what still puzzles me is that "_upsd._tcp" is used as Service Type.
>> while "nut" is used as the Service Name.
>> (instant update) I've just made a quick test with Frédéric, and the "nut"
>> name *must* be unique: each system that publish a nut service availability
>> has to have a unique Service Name!
>>

> It looks like the convention is to use the hostname or MAC address to make
> the DNS-SD name unique. "man avahi.services" mentions a "%h" format
> specifier and an XML attribute to insert the local hostname.

right, thanks for these info Charles.
note that service files also use a friendly name like "Printer on %h".

In light of this, I've shaped up the attachment.

The things I'd probably like to add in <txt-record> are:
- running mode (ie none, standalone, netserver, netclient)
- (optional) NUT protocol version or at least NUT version (can use
@PACKAGE_VERSION@)
- (optional) security mode

But service files are not suitable for this, conversely to the avahi-publish
call.

I need to have more use cases, but the idea is to be able to select (ie
filter on):
- non configured instances, to configure these
- instance types, like netserver for netclient configuration

If you have ideas in mind related to that, I'm all hears.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com