[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Dec 2 12:03:43 UTC 2011

Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> > Maybe not that long. But I'll know better in a day or two.
>
> perfect, I was more thinking about weeks or so.

Actually, now that I have svnsync working it shrinks the window more.
It means I can do things in this sequence:

1. sync the nut repo,

2. do all the difficult conversion stuff - comment editing, reference lifting.

3. save the results, which are basically a huge comments file in mailbox form
   and a map from Subversion commit IDs to stream marks.

4. Pass it to Charles to review

5. He either decides it's ready and we deliver, in which case I'm done, or

6. I incrementally resync the repo

7. I do the difficult stuff on the handful of new commits,

8. Jump back to step 3.

Result: No commit freeze at any point until we're ready to install the git
repo for production.  Which, with correct preparation, will take on the order
of half an hour - with that time being dominated by the time reqired to
upload the git repo to its public location.

This is one of those cases where good tools matter a *lot*.